[ASC-list] Fukushima, supermassive black holes and our chance to guide the future of physics - physics in June

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue May 31 23:52:04 UTC 2011

Dear ASCers,
We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP president. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.
You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/aip>.
Kind regards,
Niall
-----------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin covering news and events for June 2011 and encouraging the physics community to contribute to the Decadal Plan for Physics.

This month you can learn about the nuclear accident in Fukushima, measure nano dimensions with an Atomic Force Microscope, look into supermassive black holes and discover the Square Kilometre Array.

I have pleasure in announcing that the winner of the 2011 Bragg Gold medal for the best physics thesis PhD is Dr Adrian D'Alfonso, who completed his thesis, titled "Atomic resolution imaging in two and three dimensions", at the University of Melbourne. Adrian is now a Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne. A formal presentation will be made to Adrian at an appropriate time.

We are now calling for nominations for the 2012 Bragg Gold medal, the 2011 Walter Boas medal and the 2011 Award for Outstanding Service to Physics in Australia. See the details below under Science Prizes.

Science meets Parliament, where scientists from all over the country come to Canberra for face-to-face meetings and forums with Parliamentarians will be held on 20-21 June. I am attending as a Board Member of FASTS, and Rob Robertson and Andrew Greentree are attending as AIP delegates.

The Decadal Plan for Physics needs more input from the physics community. The plan, being developed under the direction of the Australian Academy of Science, is the our chance to look at where physics is heading for the next ten years and to identify current strengths and weaknesses as well as emerging opportunities for development. We'll use the plan to support our push for support for physics research and teaching.

I encourage you to have a look at the update below. And please make your contribution-the working group and their contact details are given below.

In this bulletin I include highlights of recent news from FASTS, the Australia's peak body in science and technology.

And here's another example of where physics can lead you: Rob Cook, once a physicist and now vice-president of advanced technology at Pixar Animation Studios is interviewed about how he uses his physics training in his work: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/45518.

For AIP members, John Macfarlane, the book review editor for Australian Physics, is keen to receive suggestions for new titles. Contact John at jcmacfarlane at netspace.net.au<mailto:jcmacfarlane at netspace.net.au> if you have a suggestion. And we welcome feedback on Australian Physics over the rest of the year as the new editor, Peter Robertson, develops it.

Read more about these and other topics in the bulletin here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/june-2011>. Then click through to our calendar at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar to book events into your diary and to add your own events.

You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters, just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

Kind regards,

Marc Duldig,

AIP President

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>