[ASC-list] Melbourne - Public Lecture - Paul Duguid, Reading trends in media history

Maia Sauren maia.sauren at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 00:53:15 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
The convenors of the 7th Australian Media Traditions Conference are
delighted to invite you to a public lecture from Professor Paul
Duguid.

‘The Great Tradition’ or ‘The Great Transformation’?: Reading trends
in media history

A public lecture from Professor Paul Duguid (University of California, Berkeley)

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Time: 6.30 - 8.00 pm

Venue: State Library of Victoria, Village Roadshow Theatrette

This is a free event but bookings are essential. Please contact
isrevents at swin.edu.au indicating the number of tickets required.

If we take media as a term for technology, we see change occurring at
an almost exponential rate.  If we take it, however, as a term for the
institutional structure of journalism, much as the press has been used
for many years, then we see change occurring much more slowly - too
slowly, some would say, to survive.  Historically, journalism has long
battled to hold these competing forces - technological and
institutional - together.  Thus, as this talk will propose, looking at
the past may help us contemplate the future.

Paul Duguid teaches a course on the History of Information with
Geoffrey Nunberg at the University of California, Berkeley, and writes
regularly for the Times Literary Supplement.

The 2000 book he wrote with John Seely Brown, The Social Life of
Information (Harvard Business School Press), ‘deserves to be one of
the best-read books of the internet age’, according to the Financial
Times. It was included on a 2011 Wall Street Journal ‘recommended
reading list’ on how businesses can harness technology to make the
most of information. Writing in the  New York Review of Books in 2010,
Anthony Grafton said: ‘Though the year 2000 did not bring the world’s
computers to a halt, it did form a milestone in the development of
scholarship, thanks to two prescient books … The Social Life of
Information [and Peter Burke’s] A Social History of Knowledge: From
Gutenberg to Diderot …’.

Paul is also a professorial research fellow at Queen Mary, University
of London; a visiting fellow in business history in the School of
Management at York University (UK), and an honorary fellow of the
Institute for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development at Lancaster
University School of Management. From 1989 to 2001 he was affiliated
to the Office of Central Management at the famous Xerox Palo Alto
Research Center (PARC).

For further information on the 7th Australian Media Traditions
Conference, 21-23 November, Swinburne University of Technology, please
go to: www.sisr.net/amt2011

--
Maia Sauren
PO Box 12304, Melbourne VIC 8006, Australia