[ASC-list] Next #onsci Twitter Chat - Thurs 17th 9pm AEST

Kristin Alford kristin at bridge8.com.au
Tue Nov 15 04:52:03 UTC 2011

The next #onsci twitter chat will be held this Thursday, 17th November, 9pm
AEDT (Sydney) and the question we¹ll be exploring is ³Do we care about
science?².

The Conversation recently run series of articles on the State of Science
<http://theconversation.edu.au/pages/the-state-of-science> in which
Australia¹s leading scientists give a ³snapshot of their discipline². The
first article to kick off the series was by Australia¹s Chief Scientist,
Prof Ian Chubb on ³Does Australia Care About Science?
<http://theconversation.edu.au/does-australia-care-about-science-4011> ².
The series itself is recommended for its coverage of why do people reject
science, how it¹s imperfect, why communicate, and how to teach it. In
reading these articles, I kept coming back to Prof Chubb¹s question ­ do we
care? And why should we?

We¹ve assembled a number of references as background reading (see
http://bridge8.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/onsci-november-17-do-we-care-about-s
cience/ ) and think these ideas will make for an interesting #onsci
discussion, particularly whether we (as Australians and/or
other nationalities) care about science, why or why not, and why should we?
I¹m hoping this discussion can go beyond ³because it¹s good for you like
muesli² responses and pick up valid, urgent and important reasons to support
the argument that we should care.

See you on Twitter this Thursday night under the #onsci hashtag
<http://www.twitter.com/#!/search/%23onsci> .

Kind regards,
Kristin