[ASC-list] liquid learning sci-com officers forum - WDYT?

Lisa Bailey LBailey at riaus.org.au
Wed Nov 30 03:02:06 UTC 2011

Hi all

I'd be interested to get people's feedback for those that have been involved in this years or last year's Science Communication Officers Forum run by Liquid Learning.

I was invited to present at this year's conference in Sydney (last week), and I hope my case study was useful for the participants but I must say I was a bit let down by the conference.  It seems to be run by a for-profit conference organising company who know nothing about science communication (hence them trying to organise it during National Science Week in the first instance!)  It is incredibly expensive (over $2000 I think the full cost was, for what turned out to be 1.5 days of conference) and I feel bad for the people who paid good money to attend.  This is nothing against the presenters who were all very good and had excellent contributions to make, but I just left the whole thing feeling a bit let down.

What is anyone else's experience?  The reason that I'm posting this to ASC is that ASC has supported promoting the conference which I wonder whether is in the best interest of our members?  I think the national ASC conference is a much better value for money proposition!

Lisa

Lisa Bailey
Programs Manager

RiAus
PO Box 3652
RUNDLE MALL  SA  5000
p: 08 7120 8605 | m: 0427 490088| f: 08 8221 6563  | lbailey at riaus.org.au | www.riaus.org.au<http://www.riaus.org.au/> |@Ri_Aus<http://twitter.com/ri_aus>
The Royal Institution of Australia Inc is a Charitable Institution and is a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR)
ABN: 98638459658

Donate $5 to the campaign for ASSETS<startsomegood.com/venture/riaus/campaigns/show/help_close_the_gap_in_indigenous_education> - helping close the gap in Indigenous Education.