[ASC-list] Meet an astronaut, tour “The Dish”, find dark energy – physics in October

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Oct 3 00:35:36 UTC 2011

Dear ASC’ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP president. Here’s a taster of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/october2011>.

Kind regards,

Niall
-----------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin for AIP members covering physics news and events for October 2011 and beyond.

This month European astronaut Hans Schlegel gives a public talkin Melbourne (6 October) and the next day, schools across the country will have the chance hear him via video conference.

“The Dish,” at CSIRO’s Parkes Observatory in NSW is celebrating its 50th anniversary by giving the public a rare chance to go up and through the iconic telescope on 8-9 October 2011.

Tamara Davis, young award-winning astrophysicist from the University of Queensland, continues her Women in Physics speaking tour in Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

AIP Vice President Rob Robinson, Bruce McKellar and I will be flying to London as Australian delegates to the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) General Assembly.

The AIP Executive is meeting on 17 October at Monash University in Victoria. If you have any issues you wish to bring to the executive’s attention please let me know.

Read more about these and other topics below. Then click through to our calendar at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar to book events into your diary and to add your own events.

If you have trouble reading the bulletin in this format, it’s also online at www.aip.org.au<http://www.aip.org.au>. You can also read it and RSS it on my blog here and on LinkedIn.

You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters. Just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

Please note that replies to this email go to Niall Byrne, Science in Public, whose team compiles and manages the bulletin on my behalf, and also handles corrections, updates and bounces. If you have news or other information for the bulletin, email Niall by the 23rd of each month.

Kind regards,

Marc Duldig,

AIP President

________

Niall Byrne
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road (PO Box 2076), Spotswood  Vic  3015

Niall’s mobile: 0417 131 977
Sarah’s mobile: 0413 332 489

Twitter scienceinpublic
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>