[ASC-list] Update: ASC conference 2012, 27-29 February, Sydney Masonic Centre

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Tue Oct 4 06:06:04 UTC 2011

Update: ASC conference 2012, 27-29 February, Sydney Masonic Centre

There has been a lot of behind the scenes development work on the upcoming
ASC conference. The call for session producers has just been issued and I've
previously announced that Professor Ian Chubb, Australia's Chief Scientist,
has agreed to open the conference and be our keynote speaker.

We have received acceptances from several state Chief Scientists to join
Professor Chubb in a plenary panel discussion about their takes on science
communication and related matters. I anticipate the Chief Scientists will
also be available to present separate discussion presentations with others
from their state in parallel sessions.

Each day of the conference will have a different feel. The second day will
likely feature a plenary with executives from major scientific research and
funding agencies. They will be able to discuss how they adjust to changing
science policies along with other matters that the session producer and
program committee throw at them.

The conference team is thinking the third day will focus on edgier topics
such as the rapidly changing world of communication media. It might cover
the spread of computer gaming as a learning and communications media, and
wherever and whatever the many threads of social media are at present.

The conference team is planning for an active exhibition area as a
complement and contrast to the presentation sessions. They are aiming for a
strong art-science presence and displays from the science communication
industry.

The web site will go live very soon as we complete final details and
testing. It will be easy to navigate and will continue to be improved as
program updates and other information gets added.

The conference team is ably led by Rod Lamberts, as conference convenor, and
Kali Madden, as conference director, with much involvement from several ASC
members.

Being fun people the team is planning a busy social program to balance the
other conference activities. So mark your diaries for the 27-29 February and
keep the night before open too as the pre-opening evening should be thought
provoking as well as entertaining.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2011

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
P:   (02) 9810 2328