[ASC-list] Australian astronomer shares in 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Tue Oct 4 12:13:23 UTC 2011

I'm pleased to add science communication plaudits to Australia's latest
Nobel Prize winner.

Dr Brian Schmidt, Laureate Fellow in the Research School of Astronomy and
Astrophysics of the Australian National University, shares in this year's
Nobel Prize for Physics. He is being recognised along with US scientists,
Saul Perlmutter and Adam G. Riess, by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
"for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through
observations of distant supernovae."

I have listened to one of Brian's public lectures and I can say that as well
as being a superb scientist, he is a wonderful science communicator. He
presents with clarity and energy, bringing light to dark matter and dark
energy.

Brian was born in the USA and has been in Australia since 1995, starting
work at Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories (MSSSO) and appointed
1999 as a fellow at the ANU. I suspect the two counties will be quick to
count Brian among their list of Nobel winners.

The press release of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences is at
http://www.kva.se/en/pressroom/Press-releases-2011/The-Nobel-Prize-in-Physic
s-2011/.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2011

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
P:   (02) 9810 2328