[ASC-list] Shine Dome lights up tonight

Helen Sim Helen.Sim at csiro.au
Thu Oct 27 09:46:39 UTC 2011

Hi Kylie -

I agree with Nick. There's a certain irony here in that the lights of
Canberra now make it impossible to do significant astronomy from Mount
Stromlo, and the lights of Sydney aren't much good for Siding Spring
Observatory either. The Academy is rightly pleased to celebrate the
achievements of Nobel Laureate Brian Schmidt, yet at the same time is
going along with a culture of thoughtless lighting that is inimical to
(optical) astronomy.

cheers,

Helen

--