[ASC-list] Shine Dome lighting: what's the fuss about?

Helen Sim Helen.Sim at csiro.au
Fri Oct 28 00:49:56 UTC 2011

Hi Kylie -

As I'm in not in Canberra, I haven't had a chance to see the lighting
myself: I will certainly do so when I'm in town. But your media release
hardly gave the impression that the lighting is "modest and subdued",
and mainly for pedestrian safety.

Let me take this opportunity to point out what astronomers wish to
preserve. Here's a lovely new timelapse sequence of the night sky over
the Anglo-Australian Telescope at Siding Spring Observatory:

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/embed/6mRMj52V4DM

HD version (192 MB, MOV format):
http://www.aao.gov.au/local/www/alopez/timelapses/The_Sky_over_the_AAT_HD.mov

cheers,