[ASC-list] Physics celebrated, think inside the box, and see the Synchrotron - physics in November

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Oct 28 03:01:18 UTC 2011

Dear ASC'ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP president. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

Kind regards,
Niall

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

This month Australia celebrated science - with a Nobel Prize and with the Prime Minister's Prizes. Brian Schmidt, talking at the PM's Prize dinner, called for a continuing education revolution. He poses the challenge of how to recruit and encourage a new generation of physicists to follow in his footsteps, and in those of our best young researchers like Stuart Wyithe and Tamara Davis. Take a look at Brian's speech<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/prime-ministers-prize/schmidtspeech> and let me know how you think the AIP should respond.

Welcome to my bulletin covering physics news and events for November 2011 and beyond.

This month, packaging is the focus of the 2011 AIP Industry Day at CSIRO Materials Science & Engineering in Sydney. The AIP will combine with The Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) to celebrate the International Year of Chemistry by looking at packaging in all of its facets-bringing together physics, chemistry and industry.

The NSW, Queensland and Tasmanian branches of the AIP are all holding their AGMs in November, with associated activities. In Melbourne, you can take the opportunity to inspect the Australian Synchrotron at its Open Day, and hear about this year's Nobel Prize for Physics.

Congratulations again to Brian Schmidt from ANU who with Adam Riess (USA) jointly won the 2011 Physics Nobel Prize with the team led by Saul Perlmutter (USA). They were awarded the prize "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae". You can read our media release at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/media-releases/physics-nobel and his speech to the Prime Minister's Prizes for Science dinner in Canberra on 12 October at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/prime-ministers-prize/schmidtspeech.

My congratulations to all of the PM's Prize winners, in particular to Stuart Wyithe, a young theoretical physicist from The University of Melbourne who was recognised for his work on the Cosmic Dawn.

And listen out for astrophysicist Tamara Davis, the 2011 AIP Women in Physics lecturer, on ABC Radio National's Big Ideas. Her most recent public talk, in Brisbane last week, was recorded, and will be broadcast (the date is yet to be determined). Tamara has toured much of the country, speaking to the public and at schools. Her work on dark energy has been directly inspired by Brian Schmidt, Adam Riess and Saul Perlmutter. She's worked with all three. Tamara is still planning to visit Western Australia, but dates are not yet fixed.

Tamara Davis and Stuart Wyithe will both feature on the Science Show (Radio National 12 noon) tomorrow.

I also note the passing of Prof Angas Hurst AM, who had a long and distinguished career at the University of Adelaide, where he was a key figure in establishing mathematical physics in Australia as a research field of international distinction. We'll have a full obituary in an upcoming edition of Australian Physics.

The Exposure draft of the Decadal Plan will be circulated soon for community feedback.

Rob Robinson, our Vice President, and I will be attending the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) General Assembly in London this coming week, and will report back in the next newsletter.

You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters. Just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

Kind regards,

Marc Duldig,
AIP President

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>