[ASC-list] Dark energy, dark matter and the breadth of Australian inventions – physics in September

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Sep 6 04:37:43 UTC 2011

Dear ASCers,
We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP president. Here’s a taster of what’s in this month’s bulletin.
You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/aip>.
Kind regards,
Niall
-----------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin covering physics news and events for September 2011 and beyond.

This month Tamara Davis is talking to the public and school students about the dark side of the universe in NSW, the ACT, Tasmania and South Australia in her 2011 AIP Women in Physics lecture tour. My thanks go to Chris Deller, coordinator of the extensive and successful AIP Women in Physics lecture tours, who is stepping down from that role after this year.

In Queensland, Colin Kennard will discuss Australian inventions including the atomic absorption spectroscopy, techniques such as Fermiscan for detecting breast cancer, unique products in the field of uranium isotope separation, solar cells, radioactive waste storage as well as the flu drug Relenza and the cervical cancer vaccine Gardasil.

In other news there is an update from Science & Technology Australia, and announcements of a number of fellowships and school competitions, as well as seminars and conferences.

Registration and abstract submission will soon open for the XII International Symposium on Nuclei in the Cosmos, to be held in Cairns in August 2012.

Read more about these and other topics below. Then click through to our calendar at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar to book events into your diary and to add your own events.

If you have trouble reading the bulletin in this format, it’s also online at www.aip.org.au<http://www.aip.org.au>. You can also read it and RSS it on my blog here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog> and on LinkedIn.

You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters. Just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

Kind regards,

Marc Duldig,

AIP President

________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road (PO Box 2076), Spotswood  Vic  3015

Niall’s mobile: 0417 131 977
Sarah’s mobile: 0413 332 489

Twitter scienceinpublic
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>