[ASC-list] Modern Families panel discussion - tonight at UNSW in Sydney

Abigail Thomas Thomas.Abigail at abc.net.au
Wed Sep 14 01:59:23 UTC 2011

Some tickets still left - free but please RSPV to www.science.unsw.edu.au<http://www.science.unsw.edu.au> (click on the Hot Seat box on the left hand side)

MODERN FAMILIES: DOES ANYTHING GO?

Presented by UNSW Hot Seat - 'Burning Issues and Big Ideas'

Wednesday 14 September, 6.15pm.

Modern technology is re-arranging the possibilities for families and relationships. We can fertilise eggs in-vitro and buy sperm over the internet. People can have sex without any danger of having babies, and have babies without having sex. Families can have a mum and dad, or one or the other, or two mums, or two dads.

In this event, we ask an outstanding panel of experts what the "natural" family looks like, and how that should affect the family arrangements that we recognise.

We also ask what happens when a whole generation starts having children in non-traditional family units. How will the next generation of children turn out?

What does it mean for the future of our society and our species?

PANELLISTS:
Professor Robert Brooks, UNSW evolutionary biologist and author of 'Sex Genes and Rock 'n Roll'.
Jane McCredie, writer, journalist, publisher, author of 'Making Girls and Boys, Inside the Science of Sex'.
Mrs Babette Francis, mother, writer and Endeavor Forum lobbyist.
Dr Kimberley O'Brien, child psychologist, lecturer and media commentator.

HOSTED BY Dr Paul Willis, Director RIAus (Royal Institution of Australia), Adelaide.

Ritchie Theatre, Scientia, University of NSW (enter from Gate 11 Botany Street)
6.15pm Wednesday 14 September

Free, but RSVP essential (seating is limited): Register & pre-submit questions at www.science.unsw.edu.au<http://www.science.unsw.edu.au>

To be filmed for ABC TV's Big Ideas program.

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments.