[ASC-list] Solar radiation, the head of NASA and the star-gazing Governor – physics in April 2012

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sun Apr 1 21:25:42 UTC 2012

Dear ASC’ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Here’s a taster of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

Kind regards,

Niall

----------------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin covering physics news and events for April 2012 and beyond.

 Around the country in April you can hear about solar radiation and Antarctic sea ice in Hobart; exploring space with the head of NASA in Canberra; the sub-atomic world on the edge of the Universe in Melbourne; and the star-gazing Governor of NSW, Sir Thomas Brisbane, in Brisbane. And people all around the world, and on the International Space Station, will take part in the International Space Apps Challenge.

Secondary students can compete for the chance to dine with Brian Schmidt in Melbourne in May. In the meantime, you can watch a video of a talk Brian gave this week in The Age science series, called Professor Brian Schmidt’s Guide to the Universe - either the full 90-min talk<http://media.smh.com.au/technology/tech-talk/professor-brian-schmidts-guide-to-the-universe-full-replay-3173633.html>, or the highlights package<http://media.smh.com.au/technology/tech-talk/professor-brian-schmidts-guide-to-the-universe-highlights-3173247.html>.

This month in Melbourne I will present the 2011 AIP Bragg Gold Medal to Adrian D’Alfonso from the University of Melbourne. Adrian will then present a public lecture on his outstanding PhD research. This follows last Tuesday’s presentation of the 2011 AIP Boas Medal to Ben Eggleton. The award was presented by Andrew Stevenson, AIP Victorian Branch Chair, who kindly deputised for me while I was detained in Tasmania by a malfunctioning aircraft.

It’s timely to announce that the AIP’s medals and awards for 2012 are now open for nomination. They give us the opportunity to acknowledge and reward significant contributions to physics in Australia. I will present the awards to the winners at the AIP Congress in Sydney in December 2012, and each of the recipients will give a talk at the Congress about their work. Details of the various awards are below.

The AIP executive met on Monday at ANSTO in Sydney and discussed, apart from the usual AIP business, a bill before Federal parliament which threatens international research collaboration and teaching of international students. More below.

Once again, I encourage you to have your say on the future of physics. So far, the response to the public consultation on the decadal plan has been very limited indeed.  To enable more people to comment, we’ll accept comments a few days beyond the advertised closing date of the end of March.  It is in every physicist’s interest to have their say on the future of their discipline so please look over the Exposure Draft (at http://www.physicsdecadalplan.org.au/) and send your comments in to info at physicsdecadalplan.org.au<mailto:info at physicsdecadalplan.org.au>.

Also in this newsletter I report on: the new Fellows of the Australian Academy of Science; young physicists off to meet Nobel Laureates at Lindau; the Research Evaluation Committee that will assess and report on the quality of physics research in Australia as part of the 2012 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) evaluations; and research rankings released by Nature Publishing Group.

The newsletter also has activities and resources for teachers, including a link to proceedings of the recent Victorian physics teachers’ conference, and a survey on the needs of teachers of biotechnology and nanotechnology.

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>