[ASC-list] The world needs science… and science needs women

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Apr 2 01:44:17 UTC 2012

Dear ASC’ers

We have opened nominations for the 2012 L’Oréal Australia & New Zealand For Women in Science Fellowships.

Each year since 2007, L’Oréal Australia has offered three Fellowships to help early-career women scientists consolidate their careers and rise to leadership positions in science.

This year the three Fellowships increase in value to $25,000 each and for the first time they are open to New Zealanders.

[Description: Description: C:\Users\Niall\Dropbox\Science in Public work files\SiP current projects on Dropbox\L'Oreal\FWIS 2012\Comms plans and reports\FWIS_AUS_Logo2012.jpg]

If you know any eligible, high-achieving women scientists, please encourage them to apply.

We are looking in Australia and across the Tasman for women of a similar calibre to our 2011 winners:

A smarter way to deliver drugs: Georgina Such, University of Melbourne, is inventing a smarter way to deliver drugs—a miniscule capsule designed like a set of Russian babushka dolls that sneaks through the blood stream to target cancer cells and nothing else.

Can we save the tiger with mathematics: Eve McDonald-Madden, University of Queensland/CSIRO, is using mathematics and artificial intelligence to develop systems that allow us to make tough conservation decisions with limited information.

The complex life of coral: Tracy Ainsworth, James Cook University, Townsville is changing our understanding of the life of the tiny coral animals that built Australia’s iconic Great Barrier Reef—now threatened by a warming ocean and by bleaching.

Nominations are open now and close 1 May.

The one-year Fellowships can be used to help finance the scientific research of the Fellows, including equipment, reagents, consumables, travel expenses and conferences. The Fellowship may also be used for child care or hiring a research assistant to cover maternity leave.

To get a sense of the qualities expected of entrants into this highly competitive Fellowship, we encourage potential applicants to read the brief profiles of past recipients http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/loreal/fellows.

All the information on how to apply is online at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/loreal/applications.

Applications close at midnight on Tuesday 1 May 2012 and will only be accepted via the online form.

The For Women in Science Fellowships are supported by the Australian Academy of Science and the Australian National Commission for UNESCO.

If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact Niall Byrne at niall at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>.

Kind regards,

Niall

________

Niall Byrne

On behalf of L’Oréal Australia & New Zealand

Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road (PO Box 2076) Spotswood Vic 3015
03 9398 1416, 0417 131 977

Twitter @scienceinpublic
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>