[ASC-list] COSMOS MAGAZINE ISSUE 44: RETHINKING ENERGY

Heather Catchpole heather at cosmosmedia.com.au
Tue Apr 3 23:37:57 UTC 2012

OUT NOW FROM COSMOS MAGAZINE

ISSUE 44: RETHINKING ENERGY

Five frontier technologies could trigger a global tectonic shift away from fossil fuels forever. Find out how they will transform our world in the April/May 2012 issue of COSMOS, Australia's #1 science magazine.

RETHINKING THE WORLD'S ENERGY:  Can we really shift the world completely away from fossil fuels in the next 20 years? A brave band of scientists, engineers and young people believe so. Cosmos editor-in-Chief Wilson da Silva watched them develop this bold new blueprint for the future of energy.

UNDER THE INFLUENCE: The annual flu periodically morphs into one of our most threatening enemies and last time it happened, Frank Bowden was near the frontline. No one's sure when the next pandemic will come – but it will come.

DREAMTIME CAVE:  Spectacular art works adorning a remote rock shelter in northern Australia have stunned the archaeological world and are reconnecting an ancient people with their ancestry. Elizabeth Finkel is given rare access to a recent discovery that's rewriting human prehistory.

LOST IN THE MISTS OF TIME: The discovery of a swivel gun on a Darwin beach has resurrected claims that the Portuguese reached Australia in the 16th century. Fiona J. MacDonald wanted an answer: does the hypothesis stand analysis, or is it a tantalising myth?

MUSICAL DUNES:  Benjamin Skuse explores an ancient mystery of physics that continues to confound modern science.

SECRET LIFE OF ENCELADUS: The icy oceans of Saturn's moon, Enceladus, might just be where our nearest extraterrestrial neighbours reside. Richard A. Lovett reports.

SURVIVAL OF THE SEXIEST:  Mating in the plant kingdom could be as competitive as it is in ours. Susan Milius explains.

PROFILE – CELL DEATH AND THE MAIDEN:  Suzanne Cory has forged ahead against the grind of science in a game often weighted against her gender. Heather Catchpole explores the secrets of her success.

DIAGNOSIS: The Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.

HIT LIST: Miraculous materials from fictional worlds

GALLERY – THE LONE RANGER: Fly too close to the Sun and you'll meet a swift death, according to the Greek legend of Icarus. It was also what was forecast to happen to Comet Lovejoy, a 'sungrazer' comet discovered on 27 November 2011 by Queensland astronomer Terry Lovejoy. But the comet defied both mythology and scientific expectations to not only survive its close solar encounter, but to come out the other side a little worse for wear. Along the way, it inspired astrophotographers to take some amazing shots. By Jonathan Nally.

FICTION – FACE OFF: The camera was focussed on my broad smile, framed by an array of empty sockets and tiny protuberances, the implanted tools of my trade. Original fiction by N. E. Walker.

REVIEWS: COSMOS talks with our own fiction editor Cat Sparks about life as an emerging author. Primatologist and ethologist Frans der Waal gives us an insight into his current reading interests.

OPINION – THE PIRACY OF SCIENCE: Ultimately, the public's purse strings fund the genesis of scientific knowledge. So, asks Julian Cribb, why should we have to pay twice?

For more information, or to buy a copy, go to http://shop.cosmosmagazine.com/category1_1.htm

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/