[ASC-list] To conference or not to conference?

Magdeline Lum m.lum at mac.com
Thu Apr 12 02:10:45 UTC 2012

Hi Jesse,

I really wanted to go to ASC2012 but I couldn't because I found it difficult to justify the cost of flights and accommodation to a two day event. It's a long way to travel from WA and it costs significantly more for members than those based on the eastern sea board. I decided to follow and join in on the Twitter stream to the extent that some people thought I was actually there.

Something that needs to be looked at is the academic teaching timetable. This year the conference coincided with the beginning of UWA's teaching timetable. It made it impossible for those involved in teaching Science Communication courses to attend. It's the only WA university I know of that offers a Science Communication degree.

My opinion is that the three day event format should be explored particularly if professional development sessions can afford to be longer. I would imagine this would be of particular interest to people working in the area of science communication. This ties in with what I prefer to see at conferences too, mornings of plenaries followed by workshop sessions. I'm not one for sitting around for hours of presentation in an audience of hundreds no matter what the topic is.

My nominal $0.05

Mags