[ASC-list] Artist seeks geologist for meaningful collaboration

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Mon Apr 30 02:39:38 UTC 2012

Hi all

Can anyone help with an unusual match-making challenge - trying to find a
geologist interested in collaborating with an artist?

Scott Marr is an up-and-coming artist who uses pyrography and natural
pigments to produce beautifully detailed and complex works - his recent
exhibition in Adelaide scored a mention in the Australian Financial Review
and his portrait of Senator Bob Brown was picked for the 2011 Salon des
Refusés exhibition (the cream of the crop that didn't quite make the
Archibalds). His website is at www.scottmarr.com.au.

In his words:
"I watched the Time Traveller's Guide on ABC and in the first episode the
host described a red strata somewhere in the Flinders Ranges as a sign of
the earth starting to breath for the first time. It blew me away that a red
pigment in the earth was not only hundreds of millions of years old but
could tell a story about such an important moment on earth.
I want to understand more about the relationships between humans/animals
and geology; the fact that what I find out there in the ground can also be
found in our bodies is just awesome. Where our bodies begin and where the
environment ends is a big part of my awe as an artist, a true living
breathing alchemy.
Having a deeper understanding of where the colours come from will be
invaluable to my practice and I would also love to get tips on where to
find pigments too."

Are there any geologists on the list, or working within your institutions,
who might be interested in this collaboration? If so, please contact Scott
directly at enlightenscott at gmail.com.

Thanks

Bianca

*Freelance science journalist and broadcaster*
www.biancanogrady.com

*Co-author of **The Sixth Wave**: How to Succeed in a Resource-Limited World
*
www.sixthwave.org

ph: +612 4787 9158  m: 0411 420 913
Blackheath, Australia.