[ASC-list] Singularity Summit Australia 2012

Carly.Siebentritt at csiro.au Carly.Siebentritt at csiro.au
Fri Aug 3 02:09:10 UTC 2012

Please direct all queries to Adam Ford (details below)

'THE FUTURE OF TECHNOLOGY'
SINGULARITY SUMMIT AUSTRALIA 2012<http://2012.singularitysummit.com.au>
AUGUST 18-19
Kaleide Theatre, RMIT UNIVERSITY

What will tomorrow look like?
Few could predict just how fast and dramatic the social, economic and political impacts of computer technology could be in our lifetimes.
The Singularity Summit this year will bring extraordinary people together to discuss the current status and future of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Neuroscience, Virtual Reality, Art and the ensuing radical engineering feats that are impacting our lives now and will do so the future.

Speakers include Professor of Comp Sci Research at ANU Marcus Hutter<http://www.hutter1.net/>, Author/VR Pioneer/Futurist Mark Pesce<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Pesce>, Neuroscientist/Neuroengineer Randal Koene<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal_A._Koene>, president of the Rationalists Society Australia Meredith Doig<http://lifeboat.com/ex/bios.meredith.doig>, Neurobiologist James Bourne<http://www.armi.org.au/about_us/staff/james_bourne.aspx>, Associate Professor of Artificial Intelligence Vic Ciesielski<http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/%7Evc/>, AI expert David Dowe<http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/%7Edld/>, and performance artist Stelarc<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelarc>.

The human species is at a unique stage in history. Scientific and technological progress is accelerating. Renowned inventor Ray Kurzweil predicts technological paradigm shifts will become increasingly common, leading to "technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history".

What kind of change can we expect from advances in technology? Many reputable experts forecast dramatic impacts on the way we live - however the future is not laid out neatly in front of us like a buffet - but we can make informed choices, innovate, and work accordingly towards increasing the likelihood of beneficial outcomes.

Of special significance this year is the centenary of Alan Turing's birth.  To celebrate, the summit will have focus on Alan Turing and his unique impact on the history of computing, computer science, artificial intelligence, developmental biology, and the mathematical theory of computability.

There's simply no better way to glimpse the future of these exciting technologies.
The conference will be held at Kaleide Theatre at RMIT.

Seating is limited, so Secure your tickets for the 2012 Summit Here >><http://2012.singularitysummit.com.au/tickets/>

http://2012.singularitysummit.com.au

Contact: Adam A. Ford - tech101 at gmail.com<mailto:tech101 at gmail.com> - 0421 979 977

Cheers, Carly

Carly Siebentritt
re-science
National Science Week Victorian Coordinating Committee
C\- CSIRO Education
PO Box 56, Highett, Vic 3190

P: +61 3 9252 6472  |  F: +61 3 9252 6256  |  E: carly.siebentritt at csiro.au<mailto:carly.siebentritt at csiro.au>

www.re-science.org.au<http://www.re-science.org.au/>