[ASC-list] Bionic Eyes, the Higgs Boson, and the Science of Music - New Podcasts from Up Close

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:46:33 UTC 2012

Dear ASCers,

Three new science podcast are now available from Up Close, the podcast of
the University of Melbourne:

* "Bionic eyes: Emerging technologies in the battle to restore vision**"*

http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/206-bionic-eyes-emerging-technologies-battle-restore-vision

Optometrist Dr Lauren Ayton discusses the biology of vision, and how we’re
trying to combat blindness through the development of bionic eyes. Lauren
also discusses the research and development pathways that must be traversed
before these devices become widely available. With science host Shane
Huntington.

*"Particles of doubt: What if it wasn't the Higgs boson?"

*
http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/204-particles-doubt-what-if-it-wasn-t-higgs-boson
*
*
Physicists Dr Serguei Ganjour and Dr Martin White delve into the details
around the "likely" discovery of the Higgs boson and discuss the
uncertainties that still surround the newly observed particle. They ask
what it means for our understanding of the universe and of physics if it
turns out not to be the Higgs. Presented by Dr Shane Huntington.

*"How we respond to music: Cultural construct or hardwired into the brain?"*

http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/203-how-we-respond-music-cultural-construct-or-hardwired-brain

Behavioral scientist and musician Assoc Prof Neil McLachlan brings a
scientific understanding of sound to his research on our emotional

Check out our other science (and humanities) episodes at
http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/

Happy listening!

Dyani

Dyani Lewis