[ASC-list] Agreement between ASC and Inspiring Australia

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Thu Aug 16 06:14:49 UTC 2012

Agreement forged between Australian Science Communicators and Inspiring
Australia for 2012-14

We have great news for ASC members! The Inspiring Australia Strategy and the
Australian Science Communicators have reached an agreement which brings
diverse benefits to members and the association.

The ASC will communicate IA activities and outcomes to ASC members and
encourage discussion about the Strategy. The IA Strategy is closely aligned
to the interests of the ASC and several ASC officials and members have been
actively engaging with IA. The aim of this agreement is to further raise
members' awareness of and engagement with the Strategy.

The agreement provides funds for the ASC to upgrade its website, manage the
project, and to pay writers fees to prepare the messages.

The ASC will post IA articles, stories and announcements to our main media
channels including the ASC website, Facebook and LinkedIn pages, and Twitter
feed. We'll also post content to our Flickr, YouTube and Vimeo sites as
appropriate. The first of the IA messages was posted 31 July.

The agreement runs from mid-2012 to mid-2014. This allows time to
.     refine the message posting system,
.     develop the relationship between IA and ASC,
.     increase members' involvement with IA and
.     increase members' involvement with this project.

How things will work:

The ASC Communications team, which works to improve how ASC communicates
across a range of media channels, has the task to deliver our side of the
agreement.

Currently on the team are
.     Jesse Shore, president and chair of the team
.     James Hutson, webmaster
.     Sally Miles, Scope editor
.     Kali Madden, executive officer.

Inspiring Australia sends each message to the liaison person on the ASC
Communications team, currently Jesse Shore, who will assign one of its
members to republish it in the voice of the ASC. This involves writing
introductory text, summaries and end pieces for each message as needed and
then posting it. For the moment Sally Miles and Jesse will deal with the
flow of information from IA.

The ASC Executive has approved a modest fee scale for various tasks and is
monitoring progress during a three month trial period. In a couple of months
we will invite ASC members for expressions of interest to join the
Communications team and take part in the program to report IA news.

Editorial control of messages will be held by the ASC with the understanding
the intent of the project is to portray the Inspiring Australia Strategy in
a positive light.

We're thrilled to have this new alliance and welcome your comments about how
to get the most out of this project.

Jesse Shore

ASC national president

 <mailto:president at asc.asn.au> president at asc.asn.au