[ASC-list] WA: Upcoming science events at Curtin University

Emma Donnelly E.Donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 13:43:49 UTC 2012

Hi all,
We have several events coming up soon (in chronological order) that may interest you, students or people you know.  Please share!
Kind regards,
Emma

Event: Cause of Death: A Case Study in Forensic Science – The Chamberlain Case (repeat lecture)
The Chamberlain Case had a significant and profound effect on the practice of forensic science in Australia. Join Simon Lewis, a national award-winning lecturer and forensic researcher and his father, Lieutenant Colonel Roger Lewis, as they investigate the forensics behind the long running mystery surrounding the death of Azaria Chamberlain.

The father and son duo will explain how forensic science was a key part of the original flawed convictions of Michael and Lindy Chamberlain, and of the subsequent Royal Commission that helped clear their names.

They will explain how the use of science in the investigation of crimes has led to less reliance on confessions, but may also foster a belief that objective scientific work will always produce the 'right' result.