[ASC-list] A sad day for science reporting in Australia

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Aug 28 04:29:52 UTC 2012

Leigh Dayton, The Australian's science reporter has been shown the door.

Crikey reports...

Science writer to leave The Oz. The Australian's in-house science scribe Leigh Dayton says she will leave the paper. A call to her office voicemail this morning revealed that the award-winning writer, who has served for a decade on the broadsheet, will officially cease duties next Friday after her role was made redundant. Crikey understands Oz management are currently looking for equivalent positions for Dayton -- as they are required to do -- but may not find one.
I spoke with Leigh and she confirms that she was left the building yesterday.

The key thing is that the position was made redundant. The Australia apparently doesn't see the need for a science reporter.

Something to discuss at the Eurekas tonight. I won't be there, client gig in Melbourne tonight.

Niall

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public