[ASC-list] A sad day for science reporting in Australia

Lamberts Rod rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 28 05:03:50 UTC 2012

Well,

Science has been an ongoing inconvenience for the Oz lately and has often been treated as redundant anyway…

Hmmm,

On 28/08/2012, at 2:29 PM, Niall Byrne wrote:

> Leigh Dayton, The Australian’s science reporter has been shown the door.
>
> Crikey reports…
> Science writer to leave The Oz. The Australian's in-house science scribe Leigh Dayton says she will leave the paper. A call to her office voicemail this morning revealed that the award-winning writer, who has served for a decade on the broadsheet, will officially cease duties next Friday after her role was made redundant. Crikey understands Oz management are currently looking for equivalent positions for Dayton -- as they are required to do -- but may not find one.
>
> I spoke with Leigh and she confirms that she was left the building yesterday.
>
> The key thing is that the position was made redundant. The Australia apparently doesn’t see the need for a science reporter.
>
> Something to discuss at the Eurekas tonight. I won’t be there, client gig in Melbourne tonight.
>
> Niall
>

> Niall Byrne
>
> Creative Director
> Science in Public
>
> 82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
> PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015
> 03 9398 1416, 0417 131 977
>
> niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
> Twitter @scienceinpublic
> Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au

Dr RG Lamberts
Deputy Director

Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science (CPAS)
A Centre for the National Commission of UNESCO

Office G10
Physics Link Building (#38a)
College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200

P: +61 2 6125 0747
F: +61 2 6125 8991