[ASC-list] Conceptions of science communication

Renato Schibeci R.Schibeci at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 30 05:57:12 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues

Some of you might be interested in the topic of  conceptions of science
communication espoused by science research funding bodies; see the paper
below if you are.

Regards

Renato Schibeci

> Sarah E. Palmer and Renato A. Schibeci
> What conceptions of science communication are espoused by science research
> funding bodies?
>

> Abstract
We examine the conceptions of science communication, especially in relation
to ³public engagement with science² (PES), evident in the literature and
websites of science research funding bodies in Europe, North America, South
America, Asia and Oceania, and Africa. The analysis uses a fourfold
classification of science communication to situate these conceptions:
professional, deficit, consultative and deliberative. We find that all
bodies engage in professional communication (within the research community);
however, engagement with the broader community is variable. Deficit
(information dissemination) models still prevail but there is evidence of
movement towards more deliberative, participatory models.

Public Understanding of Science published online 24 August 2012
http://pus.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/08/24/0963662512455295
DOI: 10.1177/0963662512455295