[ASC-list] Vic: The explosion of humanity - tonight

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Dec 6 02:46:23 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Take a look at this 4 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo that visualises the transformation in health and wealth over the past 200 years.

Then at this vimeo.com/39048998<http://vimeo.com/39048998>.

Then come and discuss them - and how data can come to life - this evening in Melbourne.

Welcome to the Anthropocene - the geology of humanity and the power of data to change our worldview, public talk with Owen Gaffney

Science writer and journalist Owen Gaffney will present a stunning view of the vast scale of human influence on our planet. His unique data visualisation captures why many now argue humanity has driven our planet into a new geological era-the Anthropocene-defined by our impact on planet Earth.

The film opened the UN's Rio+20 summit last year with an audience of 188 heads of state and ministers.

Owen will explore how global changes driven by the industrial revolution, even bigger changes driven by globalisation, and changes driven by the digital revolution are creating a globally interconnected society and what this means for the future.

Owen Gaffney is Director of Communications, International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

This is an ICT for Life Sciences Forum free public lecture. The ICT for Life Sciences Forum encourages innovation in 'new biology' - the convergence of the life sciences with the physical sciences, engineering and ICT.

When:

Thursday 6 December

Drinks and canapés from 5 pm to 6 pm

Lecture from 6 pm to 7 pm

Where:

Charles Pearson Theatre

Eastern Resource Centre (ERC)<https://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Eastern+Resource+Centre+(ERC),+Parkville,+Victoria&aq=0&oq=eastern+resource&sll=-37.860283,145.079616&sspn=1.084229,2.430725&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=Eastern+Resource+Centre+(ERC),+Parkville,+Victoria&z=14&cid=12195718029917993324&iwloc=A>

Building 171, University of Melbourne, Parkville

More information and book online at http://ict4lifesciences.org.au/events

If you can't make it, the lecture will also be recorded and put online at http://ict4lifesciences.org.au/convergence-posts.

________

Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>

Niall Byrne

Creative Director