[ASC-list] FW: Negative connotations about journalists

Magdeline Lum m.lum at mac.com
Wed Dec 12 00:52:12 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I joined ASC as a scientist who communicates science through science outreach, social media, blogging, citizen science and mainstream media. Along the way I've become a science journalist. I see the situation from both sides and at times it's surreal watching from the outside especially when the discussion heads into assigning blame and name calling.

As a journalist, I need to be able to sell the story to an editor. I do get frustrated when a science journal article with an accompanying press release that doesn't match the what the peer review research has shown. I am noticing that media releases are being heavily relied upon with little or no follow up. Here is a golden opportunity for scientists to step in and have a look at what the media releases are saying because some of the spin starts with media releases.

As a scientist, I get annoyed with colleagues who tell me to my face that their research in the lab is far more important than the communication of it. Science is research and communication. Never mind saying that there is no point to doing science when no one else can understand it. The situation is and always has been is that if no one else outside of the laboratory cares about the research, it simply isn't a sustainable activity. It's this point that isn't driven home to scientists in their training or professional development and adds to the resentment of the task of communication.

It's time that the blame attribution just stopped, especially within ASC. If we're about communication, shouldn't we as members realise the situation for what it is and go about rectifying it rather than citing examples of journalistic mistakes made in various scientific fields? I'm all for correcting mistakes but there is absolutely nothing to be gained by dwelling on them. We should also be recognising that there is headway being made in getting willing scientists and researchers to communicate their own work themselves rather than a third party. One obvious example of this is The Conversation.

Magdeline Lum