[ASC-list] ASC-list Digest, Vol 97, Issue 17

Marina Hurley info at writingclearscience.com.au
Thu Dec 13 01:04:36 UTC 2012

Re: peer review

The peer review process is not perfect because scientists are humans too,
but its the best system we have to ensure scientific rigour. But also
papers are published so that the scientific community can then debate the
issues in successive papers, if necessary. Part of the accepted process is
that if the paper does prove to be flawed then retractions should be
published (also refer to *retractionwatch*.wordpress.com/).

I think part of the key problem for scientists is that they are often not
taught how to write, and how to write well, at high school or university
and I'm not specifically talking about science communication. For example I
find it necessary to always cover the basics of punctuation as part of my
workshops and at many participants do not realise the importance of
summarising skills. Scientists stills get published because the accuracy of
the science is the priority for journals not to communicate to a broad
audience.

cheers

Marina

--