[ASC-list] CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - THE BEST AUSTRALIAN SCIENCE WRITING 2013

Natasha Mitchell Mitchell.Natasha at abc.net.au
Fri Dec 21 00:04:16 UTC 2012

Hi ASC'ers
We'd love it if you could spread the word far and wide about the next edition of The Best Australian Science Writing 2013
Thanks - looking forward to your enthusiastic submissions. Thank laterally - we love an eclectic anthology!

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - THE BEST AUSTRALIAN SCIENCE WRITING 2013

Dear writers, publishers and people with an interest in science and great writing about it,

We (Natasha Mitchell and Jane McCredie) are editing the anthology of The Best Australian Science Writing 2013 and we're on the hunt for short pieces of great writing about science for a general audience: journalism, blogs, even poetry and fiction. Selected pieces may be funny, moving, polemical or just a beautiful piece of observation - and the topics can be as broad as science itself. Maximum length is 7000 words, but we'd prefer shorter than that. Extracts from longer works, such as books, are very welcome. Minimum length... well, if your tweets are good enough, we'd consider them.

Pieces must have been published in print or online in 2012 or 2013 (forthcoming publication is fine) and not have been included in one of the previous anthologies of The Best Australian Science Writing. We might consider including an unpublished piece if we liked it enough, but most will have been published elsewhere first.

The publishers of The Best Australian Science Writing have also established a prize for the year's best short science writing for a general audience, the Bragg UNSW Press Prize for Science Writing, which runs in association with the anthology and offers the winner a prize of $7000 and two runners-up prizes of $1500 each. The prize has slightly different entry requirements from the anthology. You can check those out and find out how to enter at http://newsouthpublishing.com/scienceprize/. Shortlisted entries for the prize are also included in the anthology.

So send us your suggestions for the anthology, your own work or other people's. We'll need to have all nominations by the end of March 2013 at the latest but, the sooner we get them, the more chance we'll have to consider them.

(Cc' them to both our email addresses, thanks. Or, we can provide a postal address for any hard copies you need to send)

Thanks for spreading the word to your networks, far and wide.

Jane McCredie & Natasha Mitchell,
Editors, The Best Australian Science Writing 2013
jane-dot-mccredie- at- gmail-dot-com<mailto:jane.mccredie at gmail.com>
natashamitchell-dot-au -at-gmail-dot-com<mailto:natashamitchell.au at gmail.com>

 -

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free. Before opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's liability is limited to resupplying any email and attachments.