[ASC-list] Physics in February: Boas medal, Australia Day honours, NASA robots and space junk

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Feb 2 05:03:26 UTC 2012

Dear ASC’ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Below is a taster of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-february-2012>.

Kind regards,

Niall

________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076) Spotswood VIC 3015
Phone: (03) 9398 1416
Mobile: 0417 131 977
Twitter scienceinpublic
Web: www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin for those with an interest in physics news and events for February 2012 and beyond.

Around the country this month you can dig down into the secrets of the Large Hadron Collider in a talk in Tasmania, intersect with policymakers in Canberra, hear Dame Julia Higgins on neutron scattering in Sydney, and learn about designing robots for NASA in Melbourne and space junk in Perth.
I am pleased to announce the 20th Australian Institute of Physics Congress incorporating the 36th Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology will be held from 9-13 December 2012 at the University of NSW, Sydney. Visit www.aip2012.org.au<http://www.aip2012.org.au> to register your interest to receive further information.

The Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute is holding a national forum in Canberra on 7-8 February focused on securing future mathematical and statistical skills for Australia.

During recent solar storm activity, I talked to The Age in Melbourne about the nature of the storms. Find the story (and great images) here<http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/solar-flares-stun-stargazers-with-celestial-light-show-20120124-1qfoh.html>. And you can find other recent physics-related stories<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog/wp-admin/post.php?post=8841&action=edit&message=10#_Australian_physics_research> here.

And we have a job ad – physicists needed for oil and gas exploration challenges.<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog/wp-admin/post.php?post=8841&action=edit&message=10#_Graduate_Jobs:_DownUnder>