[ASC-list] Conference news - social events popular, WA travel grant winners

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Wed Feb 8 15:21:50 UTC 2012

I had a rapid response to my message about the social events which are lined
up for the ASC conference. The limited number of free tickets for the Tues
evening book event are going quickly. RSVP to president at asc.asn.au ASAP if
you are registered for the conference and you want a freebie.

If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for? See
http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/register/ to register.

The conference program is packed and people keep trying to squeeze in even
more. Interesting things are happening in science communication at present.
>From the irresistible rise of home-grown on-line science news sites and
print publications, to codes of ethics (surely the sign of a maturing
profession), to social media people and gamers clamouring to be heard, to
the controversy about health curricula in universities, to you name it. And
when I say you name it, I'm serious. I ask you to name what you think is
happening in the field now.

I have been remiss in announcing the winners of the ASC-WA travel grants.
Congratulations go to Hannah Feldman, Cassandra Rowles and Kirsten
Gottschalk. The grants are to help a few WA branch members attend the
conference. They were jointly funded by the WA branch committee and the
national executive. I look forward to seeing the winners at the event.

At present, we are looking to have decent contingents of delegates from WA
and from other parts of Australia far-flung from Sydney. Lots of east
coasters will be there and we have colleagues coming from New Zealand,
making us an international gathering.

More news to come from Rod Lamberts, conference convenor, and his team.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2012

president at asc.asn.au

http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC National Conference 2012, Sydney, 27-29 February

http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/