[ASC-list] ASCVic Event Update - Building healthy community engagement about the impacts of climate change
ian at imthinking.com.au
Mon Feb 13 01:50:53 UTC 2012
*****We have now secured the Communications Director of the Australian Government's Climate Institute as an extra panelist for this event. Promises to be an engaging and thoughtful discussion on hot science communication topic. *****
Building healthy community engagement about the impacts of climate change
Tuesday 6 March, The Clare Cafe Bar Bistro, Carlton
FACEBOOK EVENT: http://www.facebook.com/events/290290397692187/
Australian Science Communicators and the Australasian Medical Writers Association jointly present a dinner conversation with leading researchers and communicators.
One of the greatest challenges surrounding the climate change debate is how to effectively communicate its impact to policy makers and the wider community. Are the messages getting to the right people and being communicated in the best way?
Discussion panel includes:
* Fiona Armstrong, Convener of the Climate and Health Alliance
* Dr Marion Carey, VicHealth Senior Research Fellow at Monash Sustainability Institute
* Amanda McKenzie, Communications Director at the Climate Commission
Despite exhaustive debate of climate change science using environmental, economic, moral and social frameworks, Australian community consensus on appropriate responses to climate change can sometimes seem more distant than ever. A recent approach has been to reframe climate change consequences as major public health issues. Some communities may more readily engage with this approach but are there also disadvantages?
The panel will help us consider:
* Could a communications focus on health consequences of climate change break through the current polarised positions?
* What are the predicted health consequences of climate change and how is this scientific understanding developing?
* What mitigation and adaptation approaches need to be developed?
* How can we responsibly communicate future health consequences when outcomes depend upon multiple environmental, biological and social systems?
WHEN: 6pm (for 6.30pm start), Tuesday 6th March 2012
VENUE: The Clare Cafe Bar Bistro, 421 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, Vic 3053
CONTACT DETAILS: E: vic_president at asc.asn.au / Ph: 03 9017 2188
TICKETS: $20 Members, $25 Non-members (main course included, excludes drinks)
Limited places are available for this dinner conversation so early booking is recommended.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list