[ASC-list] Scientific literacy of our leaders?

Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 06:32:10 UTC 2012

Re point 2, I understand (but have no studies to back it) that the reason often given for the lack of scientists in parliament is that, while scientists have many of the skills needed for parliament (research, analysis etc), once you leave research for even a short while, it is hard to get yoiurself back in at the same level. This seems also to apply to women who take time out for child-rearing. The same does not apply to economists or lawyers, who happily leave parliament for plush jobs taking up law and commerce where they left off but at a more senior level, finding that their parliamentary years, and contacts made there, seem to be regarded as a plus.

Dr Rob Morrison
rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Phone: (08) 8339 3790