[ASC-list] Scientific literacy of our leaders?

Regan Forrest regan at reganforrest.com
Wed Feb 22 07:22:56 UTC 2012

Hi Rob,

While I recognise the phenomenon you describe, that wasn't quite what I was getting at.

In fact, you've rather neatly illustrated the point I was trying to make, by assuming our hypothetical STEM graduate with political ambitions would be leaving a research career in order to do so.

To my mind, our collective assumptions of this nature reinforce the notion that the only 'real' scientists are the one on the PhD-postdoc-academic research career track, and anyone who takes another path is somehow not part of "the club". That's how it can feel sometimes anyway :-)

It leaves people like me, who have a STEM qualification but on a different career path, feel very uncertain about laying claim to the Scientist moniker. Is this a wider phenomenon among non-researchers or is it just me who feels this way?

Regan