[ASC-list] Physics in March - space biology, string theory, photonics and ancient Greek technology

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Feb 29 19:40:04 UTC 2012

Dear ASC¡¯ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Below is a taste of what¡¯s in this month¡¯s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

Kind regards,

Niall

From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin for people around the country with an interest in physics.

In March, I¡¯ll be presenting Ben Eggleton with the 2011 AIP Boas Medal in Melbourne and he¡¯ll talk about his linear photonic circuits research. You can also explore quantum electronic transport in Sydney, hear about space biology in Melbourne, string theory in Adelaide and ancient Greek technology in Brisbane, and observe the night sky at Astrofest in Perth.

At our meeting last month the AIP Council unanimously passed a motion to invite Brian Schmidt, Australian winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics, to become an Honorary Fellow of the AIP.  The AIP is allowed no more than 12 Honorary Fellows at any time.  I am pleased to say that Brian has accepted the invitation.

Brian Schmidt is headlining the AIP Congress coming up in Sydney. There¡¯s more information, including an impressive line-up of plenary speakers, below<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/march-2012-2#5> and on the Congress website at www.aip2012.org.au<http://www.aip2012.org.au>. We¡¯ll be launching the AIP¡¯s 50th birthday year at the Congress, so look out for a celebration and then activities throughout 2013.

This month there is an impressive list of prizes, competitions and grants<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/march-2012-2#8> open for nomination, for everything from research in Japan and the Antarctic to four different awards for physics teachers, a new AIP honours student award in Tasmania and the Prime Minister¡¯s Prizes for Science. I¡¯m particularly pleased to see the AIP branches supporting physics students and teachers through both awards and in-service days.

The Prime Minister¡¯s science prize nominations close on 27 April and physicists should note that the Malcolm McIntosh Prize for Physical Scientist of the Year has broadened its eligibility criteria to include mid-career, as well as early-career, scientists (nominees must be within ten years of completing their PhD). Previous winners of the Malcolm McIntosh Prize can now nominate for the Prime Minister¡¯s Prize for Science, if they meet the criteria for that award. You are also welcome to re-nominate if you have been unsuccessful in the past.

Finally, there are also some of physics-related stories from the past month.

You can also follow the AIP on Twitter @ausphysics. If you would like to contribute your own physics events or news or videos please include @ausphysics, #physics or #ausphysics in your tweets.

We are also on Facebook, having both a national page<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Institute-of-Physics/170984823695> and group<https://www.facebook.com/groups/12004370659/>¡ª¡°like¡± them both to keep up with news and events. Several state branches¡ªVictoria<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Institute-of-Physics-AIP-Vic-Branch/250385534989192>, NSW<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Institute-of-Physics-NSW-Branch/247652158610410> and South Australia<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Institute-of-Physics-SA-Branch-AIP-SA/199738336713929>¡ªalso have Facebook pages so Facebook users in those states can communicate local news and events.

Regards,

Marc

President, Australian Institute of Physics
aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>

[Follow the AIP on:  Facebook   ¨O   Twitter @ausphysics      LinkedIn (AIP members only)]

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>