[ASC-list] Physics in January: Recognizing physics achievements, science in space and diamond computing

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Jan 13 00:21:28 UTC 2012

Dear ASC'ers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

Kind regards,
Niall
----------------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

In January, Korea's first astronaut Soyeon Yi talks about her work on the International Space Station (ISS) in Canberra and Melbourne, David Awschalom discusses diamond computing in Melbourne, you have the opportunity to register for February's scientists meet policy-makers day in Canberra and seminars get underway at many of the physics departments across Australia.

2011 saw many physicists being recognised for their work, most significantly Brian Schmidt and his Nobel Prize. Over the next two years, together with the Astronomical Society of Australia, the AIP will be hosting public lectures by Brian in areas not already on his very heavy schedule, as well as smaller-scale events with teachers and students with a particular interest in astrophysics.

Other physicists honoured include Tanya Monro (on multiple counts), Ken Freeman, Joe Wolfe, Marcela Bilek, Joss Bland-Hawthorn and Cheng Anderson on your achievements.

Last year saw improvements to our magazine, Australian Physics, and the publication of 9 issues to get us back in line with the bimonthly calendar date on the cover.  Thanks to Peter Robertson and his team for this.

One of our members, Bruce McKellar, was elected President Designate of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics which sees him on the executive of that august body for the next six years.

For the year ahead we have the AIP congress in Sydney in December at which time we will also commence a year of celebration of the AIP's 50th anniversary. One of the things we wish to do as part of those celebrations is to further enhance our linkages with the Institute of Physics from which we grew half a century ago - and we're after ideas on how to do so.

In this bulletin we've also introduced a list of some recent physics-related papers.

All the very best for a productive 2012,

Marc

________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076) Spotswood VIC 3015
Phone: (03) 9398 1416
Mobile: 0417 131 977
Twitter scienceinpublic
Web: www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>