[ASC-list] Speed mentoring at ASC conference

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Tue Jan 17 14:31:32 UTC 2012

Speed mentoring at ASC conference

The ASC conference is less than six weeks away and additional program
details and events keep coming in. We will announce our line up great social
events for the Monday and Tuesday nights very soon. The speed mentoring
session on day 1 of the conference is looking amazing with 15 mentors to be
on hand. ASC members have often requested a mentoring program and this
experimental format will be our first step toward providing that service
(http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/2011/12/23/concurrent-session-1d-speed-mentoring
-short-shots-of-career-tips/).

Speed mentoring offers early career science communicators a chance to get
tips and cautionary tales from those who have spent years honing their
skills and advancing the craft. Mentors include:

.        Karl Kruszelnicki (aka Dr Karl - author, television and radio
personality, Sleek Geek Week presenter, etc)

.        Adam Spencer (Dr Karl's partner in the Sleek Geek Week science
roadshow and television program, and ABC local radio breakfast announcer)

.        Wilson da Silva (editor-in-chief of Cosmos magazine)

.        Paul Willis (formerly of ABC TV's Catalyst and now Director of
RiAus)

.        Bernie Hobbs (broadcaster extraordinaire and formerly on the New
Inventors program)

.        Elizabeth Finkel (award winning science journalist and book author)

.        John Curran (General Manager, CSIRO Communications)

.        Susannah Eliott (CEO, Australian Science Media Centre)

.        and seven other diversely experienced long-term achievers.

Everyone is invited although the target audience for this session are
students and those relatively new to communicating science. We don't want to
get too crowded so we can to ensure everyone talks with several mentors.

I'll be stage-managing the session (less formal than chairing or
facilitating and more polite than saying shepherding). I've gathered the key
ingredients and you folks are the reagents so let's see what we can mix up
on the day. Let me know whether you want to attend so I can plan out this
experiment.

You can still register for the conference (go to
http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/register/) and it is great value. The program
(see http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/the-program/) is bursting at the seams with
great topics, issues, professional development, science-art, and all of
Australia's Chief Scientists. Drop me a line if you have yet to register as
that helps with our planning.

Jesse Shore
Speed mentor wrangler

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2012

 <mailto:president at asc.asn.au> president at asc.asn.au

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC National Conference 2012, Sydney, 27-29 February

 <http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/> http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
http://www.prismaticsciences.com/picts/email_img.jpg