[ASC-list] Science in demand this year

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Thu Jan 19 02:38:36 UTC 2012

Alison has good recall. Mona Akbari posted the following to the ASC e-list
just before Christmas:

AUSTRALIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCE

MEDIA RELEASE

Australian students abandoning science in years 11 and 12

The number of Australians studying science in years 11 and 12 has fallen
significantly since the 1990s and is continuing to drop, a new report from
the Australian Academy of Science shows.

Released today, The Status and Quality of Year 11 and 12 Science in
Australian Schools found that since 1991 the percentage of year 11 and 12
students enrolled in science subjects has fallen dramatically, from 94.1 per
cent to just 51.42 per cent in 2010.

Lead author of the study, Professor Denis Goodrum of the Australian Academy
of Science, said he was surprised by the extent of the fall.

"The overall drop in science study as a whole is quite staggering," he said.

"What's more, the downward trend appears likely to continue. While the
decrease is slowing, there is no indication that enrolments have reached the
lowest point.

"For a country that believes its future prosperity depends on innovation and
a skilled workforce, this situation needs to be addressed."

Commissioned by Australia's Chief Scientist, Professor Ian Chubb, the study
also highlighted the decline in Australian students' science and maths
literacy, when compared internationally.

"In 2000, two countries performed better than Australia, but in 2009 this
number had risen to six. It is disturbing that while other countries are
improving their science achievement scores, Australia's scores remain static
or have fallen," Professor Goodrum said.

The study authors also interviewed and surveyed students, teachers and
community members to determine attitudes towards science and science
education.

"Almost one-third of non-science students agree that science is important to
Australia's future but few see science as relevant in their own everyday
lives," Professor Goodrum said.

"The belief that students only take science subjects in preparation for
university has resulted in an overcrowded curriculum. This encourages
science to be taught in a traditional way which assumes that students know
little and the role of the teacher is to fill their heads with new facts and
knowledge.

"Both students and teachers find this mode of teaching boring and
uninspiring."

Recommendations from the report include:

*	Reduce the amount of content for science subjects to a realistic
level
*	Support science education programs that capture the interest of year
7 to 10 students
*	Provide more professional learning opportunities for senior science
teachers

.        Develop a suite of digital curriculum resources for the new
national curriculum

The Status and Quality of Year 11 and 12 Science in Australian Schools is
available at
http://www.science.org.au/publications/documents/Year11and12Report_Final.pdf

Contact Kylie Walker  |  T (02) 6201 9427  |  M 0405 229 152  |  E
kylie.walker at science.org.au

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2012

president at asc.asn.au

http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC National Conference 2012, Sydney, 27-29 February

http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
http://www.prismaticsciences.com/picts/email_img.jpg