[ASC-list] Science in demand this year

Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Thu Jan 19 03:27:33 UTC 2012

It may well depend  on what is deemed to be science.

The recently formed "Friends of Science in Medicine" (FSM)has quickly acquired 300+ members, including influential supporters from overseas,  and is growing fast. Its formation was triggered by the fact that yet another university is this year offering as a "science degree" a Chiropractic course (Bachelors AND Masters); not one which limits itself to back and neck manipulations, but under the direction of someone who is on record as a supporter of the mystical subluxation stuff that underlies the creation of this pseudoscience (Have a look at their website).

FSM is hoping to influence universities (at least the reputable ones) to declare their  support for science courses that are in fact evidence-based and adhere to accepted scientific methodology. It will then have a go at trying to influence the government, which helps fund these courses and uses taxpayers' money to allow health fund rebates for "treatments" with these demonstrably ineffective pseudoscientific therapies.

19 out of Australia's 39 universities now offer these pseudoscience degrees and courses as science or health science, including  Homeopathy, Iridology, Reflexology, Kinesiology, Healing touch therapy, Aromatherapy and 'Energy Medicine'.

That is the sort of "science" we might be better off without.

Dr Rob Morrison
rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Phone: (08) 8339 3790