[ASC-list] New science writing prize

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Mon Jan 30 14:33:40 UTC 2012

I'm keen to pass on news of prizes related to communicating science. Here's
one for science writing with a segue a social event for the ASC conference:

NewSouth/UNSW Press has two major new projects to recognise and reward
excellence in science writing. They published the first anthology of The
Best Australian Science Writing,
http://www.newsouthbooks.com.au/isbn/9781742233000.htm, in 2011. This
collection is going to be an annual production and, from this year, will be
accompanied by a prize for the best piece of short science writing for a
general audience. First prize is $7000 and two runners up will receive $1500
each. Entries open on 1 February and details will be on their website,
http://newsouthpublishing.com/.

I note that Elizabeth Finkel is the editor for the 2012 edition of The Best
Australian Science Writing. Elizabeth is one of the mentors in the Speed
Mentoring session at the Australian Science Communicators conference on
Monday 27 February 2012 in Sydney. She is also in conversation with Wilson
da Silva (another speed mentor and chair of a plenary session) about her new
book, The Genome Generation, at gleebooks in Glebe on Tuesday 28 February
from 6-8pm. This is one of the social events offered as part of the
conference.

See http://www.asc.asn.au/blog/2012/01/27/ascconfsocial/ for news of the
social events and our conference website for more details about the program
http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2012

 <mailto:president at asc.asn.au> president at asc.asn.au

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC National Conference 2012, Sydney, 27-29 February

 <http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/> http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/