[ASC-list] Restriction of knowledge

JCribb jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au
Mon Jan 30 21:34:18 UTC 2012

Just trying to make a buck - the justification used by every highwayman,
pirate, con-man, middleman, mafioso and pickpocket since time began.... The
Guardian's comments column makes it clear that scientists' sympathies are
not with the publishers on this one.

The fact is academic publishers make a private buck out of a public resource
(a) when they charge the researchers to publish and (b) they charge the
public to view published research which it already owns.

They are thus double-dipping on something which is public property and does
not in fact belong to them at all. Unlike the music, book or film
industries, science publishers have no proprietary rights over the original
science - yet they behave as if they do and continue to tighten the screw.

Until the advent of the internet, legal publishers used to do something very
similar.  The law is now online, for all to see (http://www.worldlii.org/).

It's high time science was also.

If you're serious about science communication, please support an open access
world archive of science online, similar to WorldLii.

Julian Cribb FTSE
Julian Cribb & Associates
ph +61 (0)2 6242 8770 or 0418 639 245
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/jca.html