[ASC-list] WA event - Communicating Space

Sarah Lau SLau at chemcentre.wa.gov.au
Thu Jul 5 10:10:28 UTC 2012

Communicating Space

It's one of the hottest topics in science at the moment - space. As seen
by the recent public interest in the Square Kilometre Array bid and
visit to Australia by astronaut Buzz Aldrin, people are hungry for more
information on life, the Universe and everything.

So what are the challenges of 'communicating space' to the many and
varied interest groups? How do you engage the general public in a 'far
out' topic? And how can we translate these insights and initiatives to
other fields of science?

Join our expert panel to hear more about the challenges and rewards of
science communication in the astronomy and astrophysics fields, and ask
your own burning questions.

This event will include a 15 minute live presentation in Horizon - The
Planetarium.

Our panel

Carley Tillett - Manager at Horizon - The Planetarium

Pete Wheeler - Manager, Outreach and Education at ICRAR, the
International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research

Dr Wiebke Ebeling - Education and Outreach Coordinator at CAASTRO, the
ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics

Thursday 19 July

6.30pm - 8.00pm
Horizon - the Planetarium at Scitech

Refreshments provided

Free for ASC members, $10 for non-members, $5 for students - please
register at Eventbrite

http://communicatingspace.eventbrite.com.au

http://www.asc.asn.au/blog/2012/07/05/wa-event-communicating-space/

Sarah Lau [slau at chemcentre.wa.gov.au]

Media and Communications Coordinator

ChemCentre

Post: PO Box 1250, Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983

Location: Cnr Manning Road and Townsing Dr, BENTLEY WA 6102

T +61 8 9422 9823

F +61 8 9422 9801

M +61 414 507 739

www.chemcentre.wa.gov.au <http://www.chemcentre.wa.gov.au>

Be environmentally responsible ... please don't print this email unless
you really need to.