[ASC-list] [WA] Profs and Pints III - TONIGHT!

Renae Sayers Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au
Tue Jul 10 04:04:06 UTC 2012

The third instalment of the 2012 Profs and Pints season activates TONIGHT!

Get your banter pants on for:

<< SCIENCE WORKING FOR THE MAN | What is the moral cost of progress? >>

- Michele Clement ( Director, Industry, Science & Innovation, WA Department of Commerce)

- Dr Nik Zeps (St John of God, UWA)

- Aden Date (AYCC, UWA Hub)

In a world where progress is linked to profits, is the price on research and science a case of good marketing and business? Is science only for the rich?

Are we entering a future where funding for science will only yield lucrative, low-risk, commercially viable results? If so, what are our moral priorities from the products of science - if we have them at all? Do we need to make our resources and research available to those unable to fund their own scientific endeavours?

Whether it's working for the man upstairs or on the streets, this Profs and Pints repartee will explore what really is the cost of science.

Tuesday 10th July

Flying Scotsman Velvet Lounge

5.30pm doors open - 6pm kickoff

Join us on the couch or chase the conversation on Twitter #profsandpints

For more info: www.scitech.org.au<http://www.scitech.org.au>

Renae Sayers
Production Coordinator of Scientific Delights
Scitech

My email: Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au<mailto:Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au>
My direct line: 9215 0846

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD5E93.C499CE30]<http://www.scitech.org.au/>
Connect with us: Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/ScitechWA> | eNews<http://www.scitech.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=508&Itemid=286> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scitech/82423139654> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/ScitechWA>
phone: +61 8 9215 0700  |  fax: +61 8 9321 2869  |  web: <http://www.youtube.com/ScitechWA> www.scitech.org.au<http://www.scitech.org.au>  |  post: PO Box 1155 West Perth WA 6872
City West, cnr Sutherland Street & Railway Pde West Perth WA
SCITECH - increasing interest and participation by Western Australians in science and technology.