[ASC-list] WA ASC Event - Communicating Space 19th July

Magdeline Lum m.lum at mac.com
Fri Jul 13 00:10:34 UTC 2012

There's just under a week until the Communicating Space panel.

Have you registered?

Communicating Space

It’s one of the hottest topics in science at the moment – space. As seen by the recent public interest in the Square Kilometre Array bid and visit to Australia by astronaut Buzz Aldrin, people are hungry for more information on life, the Universe and everything.

So what are the challenges of ‘communicating space’ to the many and varied interest groups? How do you engage the general public in a ‘far out’ topic? And how can we translate these insights and initiatives to other fields of science?

Join our expert panel to hear more about the challenges and rewards of science communication in the astronomy and astrophysics fields, and ask your own burning questions.

This event will include a 15 minute live presentation in Horizon – The Planetarium.

Our panel

Carley Tillett – Manager at Horizon – The Planetarium

Pete Wheeler – Manager, Outreach and Education at ICRAR, the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research

Dr Wiebke Ebeling – Education and Outreach Coordinator at CAASTRO, the ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics

Thursday 19 July

6.30pm – 8.00pm
Horizon - the Planetarium at Scitech

Refreshments provided