[ASC-list] Lighting up Queensland; Einstein’s tiny world; AIP member Higgsteria; and more - physics in August

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Jul 31 23:38:13 UTC 2012

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Here’s a taster of what’s in this month’s bulletin.
You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my bulletin covering physics news and events for August 2012 and beyond.

National Science Week is here again and the AIP is bringing the science of invisibility, solar cars and optics to Queensland; and in Sydney we’re exploring the strange world of quantum physics in the 2012 Einstein Lecture.

There also other physics-themed Science Week events: Lawrence Krauss and John Dickey ask “where do we come from?” in a ‘science in the pub’ event in Tasmania; you can ‘speed-meet’ a geek at the Ultimo Science Festival and there’s lots more events below.

Before Science Week starts on 11 August, I’ll be sending out a bulletin summarising the physics events on the program.

AIP Tasmania Winter Public Lecture Series is starting off with Lawrence Krauss; then next time it’s astronomer and Square Kilometre Array Telescope expert Lisa Harvey-Smith.

In July, physics fever swept Australia and the world with the announcement, at a high energy physics conference in Melbourne jointly with CERN, of the observation of a Higgs-boson-like particle. AIP member Geoff Taylor gave dozens of interviews to the Australian and International press—read below for more about the AIP and high energy physics in the news.

Speaking of news, Victorian Space Science Education Centre (VSSEC) and Engineers Australia are throwing a party to celebrate the landing of NASA’s Curiosity rover on Mars on 6 August. If you can’t make it to Melbourne, you can join in online. See below for the link.

Australian Physics magazine editor Peter Robertson is leaving and on behalf of the AIP I would like to thank him for his superb efforts during his time as editor, which has seen great improvements in the quality of the magazine and a terrific effort to catch up the publication schedule that had become woefully behind before he took over. We wish him well in the future. We are still on the look-out for an editor—details below.

The Western Australian branch of the AIP is looking for feedback from its members. There is a link to an online survey below, for members to contribute ideas about the activities of the branch.

The AIP Executive would like to highlight and remind students that awards for travel to conferences are available with the next closing date of 31 August.  See http://www.aip.org.au/content/services#students for details of conditions and how to apply.

Also we would like to call for expressions of interest from early-career researchers who would be interested in attending Science Meets Parliament on 17-18 September (see http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/news-and-events/science-meets-parliament/).  The AIP will cover registration, travel and accommodation costs for one delegate.

We also have job postings, funding opportunities, books for review, conferences and seminars across the country, and more.

Read more about these stories below. Then click through to our calendar atwww.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar> for more details on the events listed.

We encourage you to submit your physics events to the calendar here:www.scienceinpublic.com.au/aip-event-submission<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/aip-event-submission>. They’ll then appear in future bulletins.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.