[ASC-list] Writing Clear Science Workshops

Marina Hurley marinahurley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 04:55:37 UTC 2012

*
Writing Clear Science* Workshops

- We teach how to write clearly and succinctly, without sacrificing
scientific accuracy.
- A flexible, well-balanced rotation of lectures, exercises and discussion
sessions with regular breaks.
- The facilitator creates a comfortable environment where it is easy to
participate at your own pace.
- Includes exercises that allow you to write about your own projects and
topics.

*2012 Open Workshop Calendar:*
- *Brisbane:* 26th – 28th June
- *Sydney*: 24th – 26th July
- *Perth*: 28th – 30th August
- *Melbourne*: 24th – 26th September
- *Canberra*: 30th October – 1st November
- *Adelaide*: 27th - 29th November

*Day 1: The Nuts & Bolts of Writing*
- Writing to improve your thinking
- Improving writing productivity
- Reviewing sentence & paragraph structure
- Writing clearly & succinctly

*Day 2: Writing Reports & Papers*
- Linking ideas and topics through your document
- Structuring your document using our unique ‘What’s Your Problem?’
template.
- Publishing your papers; writing for clients
- Critical thinking through effective writing

*Day 3: Writing Your Thesis (optional)*
- Project management skills
- Writing your literature review
- Thesis construction and chapter structure
- Project design overview ~ Discussion

*What it costs:*
- $330 per day (G.S.T incl.) minus 10% for early bird, 3-day or group
registrations.
- Fees include workshop registration, editing of a sample of your writing,
course certificate, detailed handouts, the *Writing Clear Science* exercise
handbook and resources; morning & afternoon tea.

*About the facilitator:*
- Dr Marina Hurley first developed her science writing course in 1997 when
lecturing undergraduate science students. Dr Hurley established the writing
course and consultancy *Writing Clear Science* in 2005 and has since run
over 120 writing workshops.

*Recent feedback (April 2012)*
*- ‘I was very impressed with the approach, the activities and the tools
presented to aid the writing process’.
- 'Excellent workshop - suitable for anyone learning to be a better writer.
Very informative and the hands-on exercises are excellent.'
- ‘I have gained a fresh perspective on my writing - I am re-energised and
want to write.*'

*In-House Writing Workshops*
- Writing Clear Science also offers In-House Writing Workshops that can be
held in your department, institution or facility. We can offer a 1-3 day
workshop that is tailored to your needs. Rates are charged per enrolment.

For further information, including course details and registration form,
please refer to our website www.writingclearscience.com.au or contact Dr
Marina Hurley: 0416-097-979; fax +61-3-9421-3472;
info at writingclearscience.com.au

--
Dr Marina Hurley
Lecturer & Consultant

info at writingclearscience.com.au
www.writingclearscience.com.au
marinahurley at gmail.com (alternative email contact)
for thoughts and tips on science writing follow us on twitter
@writingclearsci