[ASC-list] Suburban Spying (was Re: WA Branch Facebook Page)

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 27 13:22:58 UTC 2012

There are serious problems with Facebook (among a number of other
providers of social networking services).

I don't have a Facebook account.  So why when I click on a link
under "Recommended Episodes" on

   http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/

do I get a response "from Facebook".  (Sorry Dyani, its not your fault,
the science is excellent, but being tracked by Facebook is not.)

Once when one did a Google search, one could click on one of the
links and go directly to the designated page.  Now, if I click on
a link, Google "phones home".  (No, I don't need to have cookies
enabled for that to happen.)

The science of network content analysis is way, way ahead of what
the public understands.

For a public perception, the 'nightlife' program on ABC radio
will be canvassing this as their "issue of the day" tonight
... from perhaps a little bit before 1 AM depending on the timing
of the end of "The Quiz".

Some links which may be of interest:

   http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2012/s3533869.htm
   http://www.news.com.au/technology/dislike-logging-out-wont-stop-facebook-spying-on-you/story-e6frfro0-1226146982274

Why should anyone be tracking my search terms; following my link
usage; identifying my map locations; monitoring my GPS; reading my;
mail to any gmail users etc. logging/analysing my opinions on
forums, etc.

Good luck with your quest Phil.

Charlesw