[ASC-list] In Reply to Suburban Spying

Magdeline Lum m.lum at mac.com
Wed Jun 27 13:59:38 UTC 2012

The WA Branch Facebook page is not designed to exclude or diminish contact with members who have chosen not to be part of Facebook or any other form of social media.

It is an alternative method of communicating within the branch while also working to raise recognition. In WA there is a low recognition of who ASC is and what we do despite a large member base. I am unaware of the situation in other states and territories and cannot speak for them.

The reality of the situation is that there are science communicators within the social media environment as well as an audience. I do recognise while it may not be for everyone, I do not think that it is fair to impart personal misgivings and choices on those who are in the social media sphere and working there producing content to communicate science. These range from individuals to large organisations and everything in between, people who make up the membership of ASC.

The genie was long been let out of the bottle and it is what it is. Much of what is reported in mainstream media is related to privacy settings that individual users have control over and are unaware of them. Furthermore, confusing the issue with what service providers like Telstra tracking how their customers are using their mobile Next G accounts is not helping and with the latest news updates I've seen, Telstra is rectifying or has rectified this. And given that this is a developing situation, best follow the media reports or ask Telstra.

Social media isn't going to replace traditional forms of communication in place with members in WA. It is another space where members can interact. I cannot stress this enough.

If you have chosen not to take part in social media, then that is your choice. I respect that but please, respect those who have chosen or have to participate in this space.

I hope this addresses everyone's concerns with the WA Facebook Page.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has Liked the WA Facebook page. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Magdeline Lum