[ASC-list] In Reply to Suburban Spying

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 27 19:03:21 UTC 2012

Hi Magdeline / All,

  My mail was not intended, and should not be interpreted as, an
  attack on the WA Branch, nor on Phil, nor on UMelb.  It was a
  consciousness raising exercise about (ongoing and important)
  problems with Facebook and others.

  You raise a number of issues and I'll address them albeit not
  necessarily in the order you wrote them.

Charlesw.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:59:38PM +0800, Magdeline Lum (ML) wrote:
ML> [...] I do recognise while it may not be for everyone, I do not
ML> think that it is fair to impart personal misgivings and choices
ML> on those who are in the social media sphere and working there
ML> producing content to communicate science. [...]

  I'm in the computing, visual and linguistic analysis industry.
  You are welcome to call them professional misgivings as well
  if you wish - which in some way justifies responding on-list.

ML> The WA Branch Facebook page is not designed to exclude or diminish
ML> contact with members who have chosen not to be part of Facebook or
ML> any other form of social media.

  I'm confident that you have not designed extra features to exclude
  or diminish contact via The WA Branch Facebook page ... the problem
  is that *Facebook* "is designed to exclude or diminish contact with
  members who have chosen not to be part of Facebook ..."  A "tragedy
  of the commons" in the online world.  Facebook or other social media
  organisations benefit from both member and non-participant losses.

ML> The genie was long been let out of the bottle and it is what it is.

  With respect, it is only the monster it is if we let it.

ML> Much of what is reported in mainstream media is related to privacy
ML> settings that individual users have control over and are unaware of
ML> them.

  Huh?  Just because the mainstream media hasn't caught up yet doesn't
  mean that, regardless of privacy settings, data collection and
  analysis isn't taking place on a major scale.

ML> Furthermore, confusing the issue with what service providers like
ML> Telstra tracking how their customers are using their mobile Next G
ML> accounts is not helping and with the latest news updates I've seen,
ML> Telstra is rectifying or has rectified this.  And given that this
ML> is a developing situation, best follow the media reports or ask
ML> Telstra.

  I consider both Telstra (and other businesses large and small) and
  Social Media service suppliers as potential abusers of data.

  Correcting misbehaviour "one-at-a-time" seems like a slow way to do
  it.  It also suffers from what, in control system theory, are termed
  proportional control offset errors ... In practical terms, if you
  adjust only for the error at hand.  Misbehaviour is always ahead of
  people wising up or devising legislation to prevent it.

ML> If you have chosen not to take part in social media, then that is
ML> your choice.  I respect that but please, respect those who have
ML> chosen or have to participate in this space.

  I understand you are asking for symmetry and respect in dealings
  with ... lets call them SMchoosers for want of a neutral term.

  Then no doubt you'd also appreciate that:

    o.  when SMchoosers deal with me I don't have an "Invisible
        Friend" who collects their choices, logs their likes and
        dislikes, records their links usage, tracks their location,
        reads their email, analyses their opinions on forums,
        monitors their wakefulness, sells those details, etc.

    o.  I'd be fine if the respect and symmetry in the relationship
        was such that they treated me in the same way as I treat
        them ...

  In the terminolgy that you used ... that of respect, I'm not getting
  that respect in return from SMchoosers.  Their choice to have an
  Invisible Friend who behaves badly is an unwanted imposition and
  disrespects me.

  But doesn't that identify exactly where the problem lies ... with
  the bad behaviour of SMchooser's Invisible Friend.

HtH,
Charlesw

---