[ASC-list] In Reply to Suburban Spying

John jj at johnjohn.id.au
Thu Jun 28 01:56:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

Something of possible interest to ASC members relating to the discussion on
social network privacy etc: ABC Radio National Future Tense had a program
last year that looked at how personalisation on the internet is creating
filters to diverse knowledge. I think this has important implications to
the channels we use to communicate science, particularly in areas of
controversy.

John Smith

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/filter-bubbles-the-global-internet-and-wikipedias/2919666
FILTER BUBBLES, THE GLOBAL INTERNET AND WIKIPEDIA'S DIVERSITY
Broadcast:Thursday 30 June 2011 8:30AM (view full episode)
In our increasingly personalised digital world are we at risk of being
trapped in filter bubbles? Also does the rise of the global Internet mean
that different countries each have their own unique Internet experience and
culture? Despite enormous growth it seems Wikipedia is facing a decline in
the number of new editors it attracts. So what does that mean for both the
diversity of Wikipedia entries and the people who create them?