[ASC-list] In Reply to Suburban Spying [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Thomas, Robert Robert.Thomas at innovation.gov.au
Thu Jun 28 02:32:13 UTC 2012

The 'filter bubble' is an issue, though the personalisation of the web
is not too different from the personalisation of other media - people
choose media they wish to consume, be it TV, print, radio. The
difference is the internet is still viewed by many as a universal answer
machine, a virtual library where all the knowledge is kept, and this
personalisation filter is not generally known. Google searches are in
fact personalised to your browsing history, depending on what machine
you're using and if you're logged into a Google account. So Google
searches can match your personal preferences, possibly leading to bias
confirmation. People tend to agree more readily on information that
aligns with their values or opinions, now Google can provide that
information based on past web history; how often have we read "Google
XYZ to find out the truth about this." in a comments thread on a
contentious issue?

I cover a bit of this near the end of one of my Prezis
http://prezi.com/r8zf0clsxj1q/social-media-and-web-3/

I do think social media is a fantastic way for small organisations to
reach large audiences, and while the tendency of silo building in social
media is a challenge, the capacity to share information rapidly also
provides great opportunity.